Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

Halloween

I know, Halloween is a few days away but, this is something that I've been dealing with for the last couple of weeks.

R is all for decorations and doing fun things. This year, she finally settled on being a "My Little Pony - Pinky Pie (and for those of you who don't know who that is, look it up and yes, I will have pictures asap). She also wanted to have a spooky looking house (which gives me the creeps) complete with tombstones, ghost, and skeletons in the front yard and in the house. I (on the shuddering other hand) am not all for that stuff... a few ghost... OK but the tombstones and skeletons... Not a chance.

Granted, R still doesn't have a full comprehension of skeletons, tombstones and such. To her, it looks cool and spooky (in a good way). For me, the skeletons remind me that Donovan is burred 6 feet underground and has a tombstone marker which also brings back mental images of him being on the floor and then in a casket. Even now, it's painful to think about. It wasn't supposed to be like this but, it is none the less.

Thankfully, it's not as difficult to deal with as last year and I'm not loosing any sleep (except for the fact that J is sick with a cold and hasn't been sleeping through the night - Reminder to self - This tooo shall pass) but it can easily start dragging me down if I think too much - (in comes cleaning out boxes).

R settled for a few ghost (one sleeps with her and it's name is Ghostly) and she's looking forward to the candy part. J has discovered that he has a BIG sweet tooth and will promptly let me know when he wants (9 times out of 10) a lollipop.

It is also helpful when I generally have a laugh about one of the kids (or both of them) by their innocence and energy for living every day. Sure, there are times (as with any parent) that you want to roll your eyes heaven ward and ask why but, at the end of the day, it's soooo worth it. The key is getting a balance which is something I'm still working on.

To end on a funny note: Today, J learned to say "chooo chooo" for the train and then proceed to get sooo tickled (while running in circles) if you say it back and then he repeats.

More to follow......

No comments:

Post a Comment