Saturday, November 6, 2010

Crying for the old house

Today (so far) has been an emotional roller-coaster for R. For the past week or so, she's been crying because she misses her old room and her old house (even though she was miserable the last 6 months or so that we were still there).

Several times this week, she had cried (hard) to go back and yesterday after school, G took her over there and brought back some more toys (surprise, surprise) and things from her old room. G also told me that she had a good, hard cry while they were over there. Today, she wanted to go back so, I took her for a few minutes since the trees in the front yard needed to be trimmed up before heavy winter hit (like last year). She started crying to stay there and never leave. I just had to say a quick prayer for wisdom and strength to do and say the right thing for her.

I told her that staying there wasn't going to be possible and pointed out that she had had a hard time sleeping over here (old house) and that everything she needed was at home and that she could visit over here (old house) anytime she needed to (for now anyway). I then had to carry her to the car to go home (J had been left in the car while it was running and was crying because we had stayed in there too long). It's times like this that I wish I could split myself in half in order to tend to both... but, can't do that so, deal with each... One at a time and hopefully the tears will stop. R cried on the way home and that caused J to cry (if she gets upset and cries, he does the same... sweet and aggravating at the same time!).

Once we got home, she protested about it and I told her that it would be rest time soon (more protest) so I told her that if she stopped crying, she wouldn't have to lay down right then... Tears stopped and a feeble OK from R.

Then, it was like nothing had happened 30 minutes ago... Both kids were laughing and playing in the living room... Note to self, don't let things get bottle back up on the inside... Once it's out, let it go and move on.

Managed to get J down and then got R down for about 5 minutes. She came back, red puffy eyes and crying to go back to the old house again. All I could do was let her cry it out, get her back in her bed and tell her to get some rest and she'd feel better. So far, not a peep.

I know that being on antibiotics isn't helping R emotionally but, once she can get her upper respiratory infection out, it'll help. It hurts when they hurt but all I can do is try to dry their tears, get them to get some rest, try not to get sick myself (losing battle slowly though... ugh!) and try to keep things positive. At least we are close and around the same surroundings to make it a little bit easier on the kids and the rest of the family.

More to follow......

No comments:

Post a Comment