Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Books and movies

For the past month or so, I've finally started doing something that I used to really enjoy.... BOOKS!!!

For the past year and a half, I had no desire to read anything except maybe in a good magazine articles. Now, if I start a new book, it's hard to put it down. Of course, that can be a bit of a challenge when there is a certain 6 yr old and a very demanding 1 yr old who need just as much attention. :) R, thankfully will take a cue and let me read in peace for a little while (since she's developing her own love of reading) before something comes up that demand attention.

Taking time to just sit down and watch a movie (or at least 30 minutes of one) is a challenge sometimes but, I've learned that if I do, I'm much more relaxed during the week. Of course, this blog is a BIG relaxer for me and a challenge in and of itself. So, I'm making it a point to get through one whole movie in a weeks time. So far, I've watched "Pride and Prejudice (BBC version - my opinion - the best!), "Seven Years in Tibet" (which took a bit longer to get through), and most recently, "Dear John".

The last movie was a challenge for me in two ways. One was the mild (if you can call being shot in action mild) violence and the shooting in and of itself. As for the violence or drama involved in the movie was something that (up to now) was something that I just couldn't stomach. Even the TV shows that are so popular now (expect for Glee of course) are based very much in drama. Even K and G don't seem to have a problem watching any of the crime drama's that are currently broad casted every week (even a few months after Donovan's death). For them, maybe it's just a show but it was much more real for me since I was in the house and dealing with the aftermath and they were kept outside (in their car) with R. The fact of the soldier being shot at was a HUGE hurtle for me. It also make me wonder what Donovan thought about before he blacked out. All I knew is that he was breathing on his own when the EMS took him and that there was a very slim chance that he would make it though the night. Just typing about this know, brings back those mental images of that night but thankfully, it doesn't scare me anymore. It's more of being at peace. I know my daughter will have her own mental images of that night and hopefully they will be peaceful for her as well. I also think about those who have seen much worse and pray that they will also get the help that they need so that those mental images don't remain the horror and terror that they were but rather peaceful.

I am soo grateful for the technologies (neurotherapy)that are now available for those kinds of situations because I know that without that, God, my family, and friends, I would be in a straight jacket now.

Onward and upward!

More to follow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment