Pages

Monday, May 30, 2011

The empty chair

Last night, I got to watch a little bit of the National Memorial Day Concert put out by PBS and considering today is National Memorial Day, the pain of loss crept in just a little bit.

On Facebook, I have seen lots of thanks going out to our military and their family and to remember those who gave their lives for the sake of our nations freedom. One status that I saw went something along the lines of ..."while enjoying your time with your family, remember that there are those who have an empty chair". That spoke volumes to me.

Granted, we (as people) need to remember our fallen soldiers and their families. We also need to keep in mind those countless others that have lost loved ones (whether it was an expected loss or not). Yesterday, there was a birth of a little girl who now has a very proud uncle and there was also a family who lost a mother/wife/daughter and who was also very influential to a lot of college kids at Freed. Rather ironic isn't it?

More to follow....

2 comments:

  1. Some very good points, my friend. As you remember your own empty chair, also remember how you've grown since it was vacated.

    I own a U.S. Marines workout Tshirt on which is silkscreened, "Pain is weakness leaving the body." In fact, I'm wearing it right now.

    I'm sure the intent was to say that the physical pain induced by the workout builds muscles. But it's a pretty good metaphor for something you already know--God is using your emotional pain to strengthen you in ways you may or may not even know about yet.

    God is using you, my friend. I'm glad to have met you.

    ---Jeff

    ReplyDelete