Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"Dad's Day"

This morning, R saw an advertisement for Father's Day on TV. She then asked me if we were going to celebrate "Dad's day" to which I replied that we were and make it extra special for Papaw (Donovan's dad). She liked this idea and proceeded to get all excited about what she would get for Daddy and for Papaw. I simply smile and tend to the task at hand which is getting her ready for school and getting J fed.

The problem is, it brings back a painful reminder that Donovan will be missing another Father's Day with his children. He was sooo looking forward to J's arrival and had been coming up with middle names for J.... Names I didn't know about until several months later when K got on Donovan's computer. R and Donovan were getting very close too in Donovan's sharing his love of records and music with R.

Yes, it's very easy to slip into the questions that won't have any answers and it's ok to ask. The thing is not to get bogged down with the why's and change it to why not. Why not make things as easy and as fun as possible? Granted, it can be a struggle sometimes but, if I can be honest with myself and say, at the end of the day, "This was a good day and the next will be even better", it makes everything worthwhile. I know that God has something special for us down the road and that as long as we keep striving to follow His Word and His Will, it will all work out for the best (in spite of tears along the way).

My dad always tells me, at the end of each phone conversation to keep on keeping on and that what I intend to do. I owe that to God, Donovan, my children, and myself.

More to follow....

No comments:

Post a Comment