Pages

Monday, March 3, 2014

A loss for another family

This last week, R and I were in the car and driving by a cemetery. There was a funeral in progress and R made the comment of that fact. Then, she said that maybe it was a classmate of her's funeral. At first, I didn't know how to respond except for "O?" She said that one of her classmates mom had died and maybe that funeral was for his mom. My heart broke for her classmate and his family. I suggested to her that maybe she could tell him that he's not alone in loosing a parent. She knew what that was like. I told her that sometimes, it helps others to know that they aren't the only ones who have gone thru something very difficult. I reminded her that, when she met other kids who had lost a parent(s), she had been ecstatic because she now knew that she wasn't alone. R didn't say anything about that but she did ask me if she went to Donovan's funeral. I had to tell her that she didn't. She asked why and I told her that she was too young to understand what was going on and still in a lot of shock at that time. I told her that, every time someone came over to the house, she would go and hide under the kitchen (or dinning room) table. She thought that was funny and couldn't believe that she did that. We then talked about how sudden changes (like the sudden death of a parent) can cause people to do things that they normally wouldn't do and that it's normal for people to go into shock. The key is to know when you need to do something about it instead of hiding away from everyone and everything. My little girl is growing up and I am so thankful that she feels comfortable to be able to ask questions (even the tough ones) and that her sense of humor is developing to the point that she can pull some looks on Jeff that have him rolling in the floor sometimes. It takes work to make a family and make a home but it's sooo worth it! More to come.....

No comments:

Post a Comment